Oxford Carpet Tack Lap Frame
For punch needle rug hooking your rug backing needs to be stretched REALLY tight on a frame - as tight as a drum. You should be able to bounce a quarter on it! If your backing is tight the punching is SO MUCH EASIER and faster and your loops will be more even too. Our frames with carpet tack strips make stretching simple (no more thumb tacking your work to a frame)! Just stretch your backing on the frame, cover the carpet tack with the protective padding and you're good to go. And yes, you can make a rug larger than the size of your frame. Our frames are handmade here in Vermont by our neighbor Steve Whipple. (Steve is the husband of Heidi Whipple, our wonderful punch needle maker.) We love these frames and hope you will too.
- Made from quality pine wood
- Lightweight yet sturdy
- Easy to put together and take apart
- Great for traveling
- Premium carpet tack strips with 3 rows of tacks for extra tightening power
- Thick felt protective padding
- Will not warp or twist
Which Size Should I Get?
- 16" x 16" (Interior dimensions.) Great for chair pads, wall hangings, or try making several ornaments or coasters at once on this handy sized frame. Larger pieces can also be made on this frame by moving your work like you would embroidery in an embroidery hoop. Frame can be disassembled for traveling or storage. Instructions and hardware included. When disassembled the frame fits easily into most suitcases.
- 21" x 29" (Interior Dimensions.) We experimented to see how large a lap frame could be and still be manageable and comfortable to hold in one's lap. This frame size was tested by over 100 rug makers who gave it a thumbs up. Recommended for anyone over five feet tall. Perfect for making small rugs without moving your work or make a 2' x 3' rug and only move it once. Larger rugs can of course be made on this frame as well. Frame can be disassembled for traveling or storage. Instructions and hardware included.
Hate assembling stuff? This is really very easy! Easy to put together and take apart, these frames compact nicely for traveling. There are two screws at each corner of the frame. Pre-drilled holes make your job pain-free. (Heidi and Steve test them all before we send them to you.) Assemble or disassemble your frame with either a flat or phillips screw driver (or use a butter knife in a pinch)! Girly screwdriver not included.
Our premium carpet tack strips have 3 rows of tacks for extra tightening power (most only have 2). The tacks are sharp but won't rip your monk's cloth rug backing. Cover up those tacks! A staple gun and 1/2" staples work well to attach your padding to the frame.
How do you use a lap frame? I like to lean mine against a table so I can have both hands free for punching. If you want to punch in front of TV and don't have a table try propping your frame against the back of another chair or on a small folding TV table as shown in photos above. Remember to sit up straight!