Our contest is open to our students, customers, and the worldwide punch needle rug punching community. Enter to win some punchy prizes!
$100 Oxford Company gift certificate awarded each month to the best entry.
Next monthly prize entry deadline: May 31, 2017.
In February, 2018 one of the monthly winners will be chosen to win the grand prize: a three-day class or retreat of your choice at the Oxford Rug Hooking School including four nights of lodging at the school and a Complete Set of Oxford Punch Needles. Grand Prize retail value: over $900.
How to Enter: Entries will only be accepted online. Email a photo of your entire rug and one close-up shot of your favorite detail to email@example.com. Include the required “Entry Information” in the body of your email (see below). For tips on photography see below.
Entry Deadline: The deadline for the monthly prize is midnight on the last day of each month. Each rug can only be entered once.
- No purchase necessary to enter or win. Purchase does not enhance chance of winning.
- Entries must be made using one or more Oxford Punch Needle sizes.
- Entries may be rugs, wall hangings, chair seats, pillows, or any other punched item.
- Any fiber can be used including wool yarn, wool fabric strips, cotton, mohair, angora, silk, synthetics, etc. Embellishments may be used. The backing can be monk’s cloth, linen, or anything else.
- The rug must be designed by the entrant or, if it is designed by someone else, the entrant must have written permission from the designer to enter the rug and for the rug to be featured on our website and emails.
- The piece must have been made in the last two years.
- The Grand Prize is transferable. You can give it to a friend or family member, or anyone else!
- The Grand prize must be used in the 2018 calendar year.
- If you win the Monthly Prize once in 2017 you are ineligible to enter new rugs into the contest in 2017.
- Void where prohibited.
- Odds of winning the Monthly Prize depend on how many entries are received. Odds of winning the Grand Prize are 1 out of 11.
- Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for The Oxford Company to use winner’s name, photographs, and rug details for the purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
- Employees and staff of The Oxford Company and Certified Oxford Punch Needle Rug Hooking Instructors are not eligible to enter.
Rugs will be judged on the following criteria: Overall appearance, degree of difficulty, and workmanship. Overall appearance includes design, composition, and use of color.
The Monthly Winner will be chosen by The Oxford Company and will be posted on our website and Facebook page the first week of each month The Grand Prize winner will be chosen by YOU! We’ll post the rugs on our website and Face Book page so you can vote. The Grand Prize winner will be voted on and announced the first week of February, 2018.
All email entries must include the following photos and entry information. You can cut and paste the list below into the body of your email or type it in. Entries without complete information will not be accepted.
I've attached a photo of the whole rug/punched item. Yes __
I've attached a close-up shot from the rug. Yes ____
I've attached a "head shot" of myself. Yes ___
Rug Title: _____________________________________________
Rug Size in inches: ___________________
Rug Designer: ________________________________________
This is my own design: Yes ____
This is not my design. I've attached email permission from the original designer. Yes ____
Punch Needle size(s) used: _____________________________
Materials used for punching (wool yarn, wool fabric strips, cotton yarn, etc.): ______________________________________________________
Rug backing (monk’s cloth, linen, etc.): ___________________________________
Details about your piece (in 200 words or less): _______________________________________________________________________
The Oxford Company has my permission to feature my rug on their website and emails: Yes _____
By checking here, you, the contestant, have affirmatively reviewed, accepted, and agreed to all of the official rules: _____
- Good photographs will really improve your chance of winning! Poor photos will not be considered for entry.
- Rugs should be photographed straight on with the entire piece in the shot. Choose a background wall that compliments your rug or you can use a piece of black or white fabric for your background.
- Don’t take the picture from above (standing on a chair) or the shape of the rug will be distorted. If you insist on doing this try to keep the original shape of your rug and make sure your toes aren’t in the picture!
- For your detail shot, choose a part of the rug that's the most interesting and shows the most skill. Stand very close to the piece when you take the detail photo and crop it so only the detail is in the picture.
- Send your image as a JPEG file. When you email it send it in the largest format you can. On a Mac this will be “Actual Size.”
Monthly Prize Winners
Hidden Lion. Designed and punched by Stefan Dull, Ypsilanti, Michigan. 27" x 36". Made with a #8 regular Oxford Punch Needle. Wool/acrylic blend yarns and acrylic yarns. Punched on MCG Textiles cross stitch fabric.
Mama's Cow. Designed and punched by Sherry Godja from Fraserville, Ontario, Canada. 28" x 18". Made with a #10 regular Oxford Punch Needle. Wool rug yarn on cotton monk's cloth backing.
It's a tie! The two winners are Cindy Gjers and Sioban McLaughlin.
Octopus's Garden. Designed and punched by Cindy Gjers, Scott's Valley, California. 29" x 40". Made with a #9 regular Oxford Punch Needle. Wool yarn on cotton monk's cloth backing.
Stained Glass, Virgil Road. Designed and punched by Sioban McLaughlin, Dedham, Massachusetts. 29" x 41". Made with a #10 regular Oxford Punch Needle. Wool yarn on cotton monk's cloth backing.
Cliffs of Home. Designed and punched by Diann McDonald, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada. 30" x 36". Made with a #10 regular Oxford Punch Needle. Wool yarn on cotton monk's cloth backing.